Top 10 things to be grateful for as you build your way through your 20s
It’s a harsh time to be a budding adult and us millennials seem to be having a little bit of a tougher time adapting. It can become easy to feel like we’re not enough, so if you find yourself stretching for some things to appreciate here’s a short list of little gifts that can be a source of joy.
1. Your bed: You may be rushing around all day through the harsh hustle and bustle of adulthood, but at the end of the day you have a place to shut your eyes and clear away the noise. A good night’s sleep is one of the most powerful healthy habits we can establish for ourselves. So rest easy knowing that tomorrow is another day to try to work in that spin class around the rest of your busy schedule.
2. Clean water: Chances are if you’re reading this you have access to a cold glass of tap or even purified or spring water. You’re fortunate enough to be able to jump start and cleanse your body. This can also be a great exercise in mindfulness to focus your attention on the water flowing through your body and cleansing you physically, mentally and spiritually.
3. Family and friends: They’re not always perfect, or present. But you can know that there is always someone to love you unconditionally. At the end of the day it’s the people in our lives that keep us going and make life worth living.
4. The great outdoors: A widely available and often under used source of inner peace can come from a quick visit to the park to put your feet in the grass. Taking time to hug a tree or listen to the birds is the perfect stress reliever and you certainly can’t beat the price.
5. Coffee: No time for a devoted meditation or mindfulness practice? Take 5 minutes a day to turn the source of caffeine into a peaceful appreciation of the warm liquid vitality. Enjoy the warmth of the cup in your hand, the taste on your tongue, the works of art that appear from porcelain cream being poured into the dark delicious background. An everyday ritual that can be transformed into a zen practice when used correctly.
6. The Early Morning: It can seem like there aren’t enough hours in the day if you haven’t discovered the peaceful hours before the sunrise. For those of us pursuing our passions outside of a full time job training yourself to appreciate these spare hours can be a god send. This is where you can get the dishes done, knock out some of that novel, squeeze in some yoga or meditation, get a good work out in all before heading in to work. There’s something humbling that comes over you when you realize what’s hiding behind the snooze button.
7. Volunteer Opportunities: When you have the energy to learn new skills and help others you absolutely can’t be stopped. Not to mention if you’re looking to break into an industry there’s no better way to build experience and find your mentor than accepting a position on a volunteer basis. Many times it’ll put you as a priority when paid work becomes an option.
8. The Internet: How wonderful is it that we live in an age where anything we could ever want to learn can be downloaded in an instant? We have the universe at our finger tips and a multitude of devices allowing us to gain information on virtually any topic. Not too mention the enjoyment we get from our favorite cat videos.
9. The kindness of Strangers: Funny how deeply we are able to connect with people that barely know us. Based on the perception of distress something within us cries out to come to action and help a fellow human in need. We’re all in this together after all.
10. Laughter: No matter what state of health you find yourself, there’s no greater escape than humor. Being able to find lightness in the heavy times is your guaranteed lift. It also helps you become aware of the present without attaching to the situation.